Due to the COVID-19 outbreak and the recommendations by the South African government, this year’s do_action event will be 100% remote and online.
The WordPress South Africa community is a network of developers, designers and website builders who believe that WordPress is the perfect platform for any organisation to use to build their online presence effectively. For the last six years, our community has hosted the do_action WordPress Charity Hackathon in Cape Town where we have spent a full day building brand new websites for a selection of local charities and NGOs. This year, for the seventh annual do_action event, we are going to be repeating this for a completely new set of charitable organisations and we’re going to be taking it national! More details will be announced down the line, but for now, we’re looking for local non-profit organisations to apply to be a part of this year’s event!
Who can apply?
Due to the overwhelming response we received for this call for non-profit applications (over 70 have applied already!) we are closing applications early so that we have enough time to actually go through them and so them all justice. We will contact all the non-profits that applied ASAP.
How can you sponsor?
We are also looking for product sponsors to make this event successful. We expect a participation of around 70 to 100 people from all different industries, but since this will be an entirely online event we are not looking for financial sponsorship. In lieu of finances, we are looking for companies that are willing to sponsor the products and/or services. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Premium plugin licences
- Premium theme licences
- Ongoing website support & management
- Relevant SaaS licences
- Any web-related services that you feel would be valuable to South African non-profit organisations
You can drop us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org to ask anything you like and chat about it some more.
All sponsors can receive:
- Company logo on the site
- Company description on the site
- Link to company website from the site
- Tweets and/or posts to Facebook about your company
- Thanks in pre- and post-event emails
- Thank you in opening or closing remarks
Find out more general information about do_action hackathons at the page and video here.
How will this online event work?
As this is the first time we will be running this event online we are still ironing out the details, but the expected plan is to use four weeks as do_action weeks in South Africa, starting on 18 May 2020. During that month, the teams working on the websites will be meeting on our community Slack group to make plans and do their work. The plan will be as follows:
- Each team will have 1 week (Monday to Sunday) to work on the websites together, with 2-4 teams working each week.
- We will start the week off with a group video call for everyone taking part, then you can break off into separate “rooms” and plan your week together – you will be able to communicate in your team’s dedicated video room, as well as a Slack channel just for your team.
- As a team, you will plan your schedule for the week together, and can even work asynchronously if you wish.
You can use any online tools you like to track your work together as a team, and if there are any premium online services you think would be valuable then please let us know and we can reach out for sponsorship funds to cover those costs.
Here are a few examples of sites built at previous do_action events in Cape Town: