do_action_phc is going to be an annual event where our local WordPress Port Harcourt Community comes together to give back to the broader community of Port Harcourt and Nigeria by building websites for multiple non-profit organisations. All of the sites are built for free by volunteers.
do_action hackathons are community-organized events that are focused on using WordPress to give deserving charitable organisations their own online presence. Each do_action event includes participants from the local WordPress community coming together to plan and build brand new websites for a number of local nonprofits in one day.
Who can participate?
Each such website will be built by a team of 6-8 people in the following roles:
- Project Managers
- Designers/ Graphic Artists
- Content Writers
- Social Media Managers
- Developers ( 2 or 3)
- QA Testers
So, if you’re from in and around Pot Harcourt with some expertise in WordPress, or even just an interest in WordPress, you are very welcome to come and participate.
What do participants get?
You get to come together and
- Work in teams, learn from each other, and share knowledge and skills,
- Help extremely worthy local causes benefit by getting an expertly crafted website,
- Oh, and we’ll have fun and make new friends while we’re about it!
Your meals and refreshments throughout the day will be taken care of and we’ll get you some awesome swag to take back with you.
For NGOs/ Non-profits
If you’re a charity or non-profit organisation you don’t need to allocate some of your already hard-stretched funds for what would probably be a low-budget website. By participating in this event you have the chance to get a well designed and expertly developed new website, created by an enthusiastic and knowledgeable team of volunteers, for absolutely nothing – freeing up your limited funds to be spent on your primary cause – and in a single day, so no long drawn out projects that sap your time and energy and will be finished “sometime soon”!
To participate just fill in the application form at the end of this page.
At least one or two representative of your non-profit organisation or charity will have to be present during the hackathon and will be a part of the team building the website. Your representatives and your organization will also be given free training on using WordPress through sessions and workshops during the day.
We’re also looking for sponsors for making this event successful. We expect a participation of about 50 – 100 people depending on the number of websites we build during the day.
- You can display roller-up banner at the event venue.
- You can have representation at the event.
- Your representative will be recognized
- We’ll add your logo to the sponsors list on this page.
- We’ll make social media announcements before, during and after the event.
- We’ll thank you publicly at the venue; during the event
- You can distribute your coupons, custom branded swags or stationaries to the participants.
- You’ll have a few minutes to talk about what your organization does
Right now, we are looking for non-profit organisations to apply to be a part of the day. Along with the website, selected organisations will receive WordPress training on the day of do_action so they will have all the skills they need to manage their new online presence.
To apply to be one of these organisations, all you need to do is fill out in the form below before 27 June 2018 – after that date, we will make our selections and let you know.
Note that we will only accept registered non-profit organizations for this event.